Winlink lets you easily send/receive email from anywhere on the face of the Earth with your HF radio. This is a key component of disaster preparedness for hams who will step up and provide communications for others in a time of need. (The impending Zombie Apocalypse is reason enough to learn this, people.)
In the first 7 minutes, I give you the background information on Winlink… what it is, why it’s important, and how it works. Then, I fire up the computer and a QRP radio (naturally!) to do a demo of sending and receiving email.
Want to get your head around the concepts and hardware needed to start using some of the amateur radio Digital Modes? You’ve come to the right place! This comprehensive video will tell you everything you need to know to get started and it lays the groundwork for a series of upcoming in-depth videos on RTTY, PSK31, JT65, and Winlink.
The following questions are answered in this video:
- Why Digital?
- What is Meant by Digital Modes?
- How Does Digital Work?
- What Kind of Radio is Needed?
- What Kind of Computer is Needed?
- Do I Have To Make My Own Cables?
- What Cables Are Required?
- What About Push-To-Talk?
- How Does A Signalink Box Make Things Easier?
- How to Connect Radios to a Signalink Box? (FT-817 and KX3)
- The Importance of Setting Optimal Audio Signal Levels